31. Wang JH, Jia F, Yang G, et al. Cyclic mechanical stretching of human tendon fibroblasts increases the production
of prostaglandin E2 and levels of cyclooxygenase expression: a novel in vitro model study. Connect Tissue Res
32. Wang JH, Li Z, Yang G, Khan M. Repetitively stretched
tendon fibroblasts produce inflammatory mediators. Clin
Orthop Relat Res 2004;422:243–50.
33. Colosimo AJ, Bassett FH, 3rd. Jumper’s knee. Diagnosis
and treatment. Orthop Rev 1990;19:139–49.
34. Cook JL, Khan KM, Kiss ZS, et al. Reproducibility and clinical utility of tendon palpation to detect patellar tendinopathy in young basketball players. Victorian Institute of Sport
tendon study group. Br J Sports Med 2001;35:65–9.
35. Fredberg U, Bolvig L, Pfeiffer-Jensen M, et al. Ultrasonography as a tool for diagnosis, guidance of local steroid
injection and, together with pressure algometry, monitoring
of the treatment of athletes with chronic jumper’s knee and
Achilles tendinitis: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study. Scand J Rheumatol 2004;33:94–101.
36. Khan KM, Bonar F, Desmond PM, et al. Patellar tendinosis
(jumper’s knee): findings at histopathologic examination,
US, and MR imaging. Victorian Institute of Sport Tendon
Study Group. Radiology 1996;200:821–7.
37. Warden SJ, Kiss ZS, Malara FA, et al. Comparative accuracy of magnetic resonance imaging and ultrasonography
in confirming clinically diagnosed patellar tendinopathy.
Am J Sports Med 2007;35:427–36.
38. Black J, Cook J, Kiss ZS, Smith M. Intertester reliability
of sonography in patellar tendinopathy. J Ultrasound Med
39. el-Khoury GY, Wira RL, Berbaum KS, et al. MR imaging of
patellar tendinitis. Radiology 1992;184:849–54.
40. Popp JE, Yu JS, Kaeding CC. Recalcitrant patellar tendinitis. Magnetic resonance imaging, histologic evaluation, and
surgical treatment. Am J Sports Med 1997;25:218–22.
41. Thorling J, Linden B, Berg R, Sandahl A. A double-blind
comparison of naproxen gel and placebo in the treatment
of soft tissue injuries. Curr Med Res Opin 1990;12:242–8.
42. Spacca G, Cacchio A, Forgacs A, et al. Analgesic efficacy
of a lecithin-vehiculated diclofenac epolamine gel in shoulder periarthritis and lateral epicondylitis: a placebo-controlled, multicenter, randomized, double-blind clinical trial.
Drugs Exp Clin Res 2005;31:147–54.
Petri M, Hufman SL, Waser G, et al. Celecoxib effectively
treats patients with acute shoulder tendinitis/bursitis. J
Petri M, Dobrow R, Neiman R, et al. Randomized, double-
blind, placebo-controlled study of the treatment of the pain-
ful shoulder. Arthritis Rheum 1987;30:1040– 5.
Mazieres B, Rouanet S, Guillon Y, et al. Topical ketopro-
fen patch in the treatment of tendinitis: a randomized,
double blind, placebo controlled study. J Rheumatol
Cannell LJ, Taunton JE, Clement DB, et al. A randomised
clinical trial of the efficacy of drop squats or leg extension/
leg curl exercises to treat clinically diagnosed jumper’s knee
in athletes: pilot study. Br J Sports Med 2001;35:60– 4.
Young MA, Cook JL, Purdam CR, et al. Eccentric de-
cline squat protocol offers superior results at 12 months
compared with traditional eccentric protocol for patel-
lar tendinopathy in volleyball players. Br J Sports Med
Jonsson P, Alfredson H. Superior results with eccentric
compared to concentric quadriceps training in patients
with jumper’s knee: a prospective randomised study. Br J
Sports Med 2005;39:847–50.
Hoksrud A, Ohberg L, Alfredson H, Bahr R. Ultrasound-
guided sclerosis of neovessels in painful chronic patellar
tendinopathy: a randomized controlled trial. Am J Sports
Gurney B, Wascher D, Eaton L, et al. The effect of skin
thickness and time in the absorption of dexamethasone in
human tendons using iontophoresis. J Orthop Sports Phys
Vulpiani MC, Vetrano M, Savoia V, et al. Jumper’s knee
treatment with extracorporeal shock wave therapy: a long-
term follow-up observational study. J Sports Med Phys
Coleman BD, Khan KM, Kiss ZS, et al. Open and ar-
throscopic patellar tenotomy for chronic patellar tendi-
nopathy. A retrospective outcome study. Victorian Insti-
tute of Sport Tendon Study Group. Am J Sports Med
Kaeding CC, Pedroza AD, Powers BC. Surgical treatment
of chronic patellar tendinosis: a systematic review. Clin
Orthop Relat Res 2007;455:102–6.
Orthopaedic Surgery Volume 8, Part 4 19